Police reveal what the three Americans died of in the Bahamas

bahamian police

() — The three Americans found dead in a sandals hotel on the island of Great Exuma, in the Bahamas, died due to carbon monoxide poisoning, local authorities reported Tuesday.

“At this juncture in the investigation, we can officially confirm that all three victims died as a result of suffocation due to carbon monoxide poisoning,” the Royal Bahamas Police Force announced in a press release. “This matter remains under active investigation.”

No signs of trauma were found on the bodies, police previously told , and acting Bahamas Prime Minister Chester Cooper had said no foul play was suspected. Police declined to comment beyond the cause of death of the three US citizens in the latest press release.

Three Americans died in May at the Sandals Emerald Bay Resort on the island of Great Exuma (Bahamas).

The Americans—Michael Phillips, 68, and his wife, Robbie Phillips, 65, from Tennessee; and Vincent Paul Chiarella, 64, of Florida — died over the course of one night. Chiarella’s wife, Donnis, 65, was airlifted to Nassau, the nation’s capital, for further treatment before to be transferred to Florida.

Donnis is in good condition, said Jennifer Guerrieri, a spokeswoman for the Hospital Corporation of America’s East Florida division.

Her son, Austin Chiarella, told ABC News that his mother “woke up” and his father “was laying on the floor, and he couldn’t move. His legs and arms were swollen and he couldn’t move and he was screaming for someone to come in.” the door”.

Donnis Chiarella told his son that she got sick on Thursday, but after leaving the clinic “he thought she was fine,” according to ABC.

He said he was heartbroken over his father’s death. “My father was everything to me,” he told ABC.

Tropical storm warning for Florida, Cuba and Bahamas 1:21

“I have asked the Minister of Health and Welfare, Dr. Michael Darville, to lead a delegation to Exuma tonight of health and welfare, environment and public works officials. The public will be kept abreast of the information as soon as it becomes available,” Prime Minister Cooper said on the day of the event, adding: “We offer our thoughts and prayers to the affected families.”

The two couples had reported feeling unwell the night before and were treated by medical personnel, Bahamas Police Chief Paul Rolle said in May, and had eaten at different places.

Staff discovered the couples in different villas the next morning and alerted police.

Sandals Resorts then told , “Nothing is more important to Sandals Resorts than the safety of our guests,” and expressed “deep sadness” in confirming the deaths.

“A health emergency was initially reported and, following our protocols, we immediately alerted emergency medical professionals and relevant local authorities.”

Authorities are working on the repatriation of the bodies of the deceased and arrangements have been made to deliver their belongings to their legal representatives in the United States, Rolle said.

With information from Rebekah Riess.

Source link