July 5 () –
The Government of China has downplayed the cancellation of the official visit that the EU’s High Representative for Foreign Policy, Josep Borrell, planned to make to Beijing, noting that said trip will take place “as soon as it is convenient for both parties”.
This was expressed by the spokesman for the Chinese Foreign Minister, Wang Wenbin, who stressed at a press conference his government’s desire to “maintain communication” with the European side. In this sense, he has pointed out that Beijing attaches “great importance” to relations with the EU, according to official media from the Asian giant.
These clarifications take place just one day after Borrell’s office confirmed the cancellation of the visit, after another trip scheduled for April had already had to be postponed due to the positive coronavirus of the head of European diplomacy. After this first unforeseen event, there was an agreement for the visit to take place in mid-July.
“Unfortunately, the Chinese counterparts have informed us that the dates scheduled for next week are no longer possible and now we must look for alternatives,” the EU Foreign Affairs spokesperson, Nabila Massrali, told Europa Press.
Borrell’s spokeswoman has avoided going into detail about the reasons behind this change of plans, assuring that it is up to Beijing to explain why it has canceled the visit. The head of European diplomacy was expected to focus his visit on the strategic dialogue with the State Councilor and Minister of Foreign Affairs, Qin Gang.
From EU diplomacy, it was seen as an optimal moment to visit China given the powerful geopolitical moment with the war in Ukraine and after the opening shown by the United States with the trip of Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, to Beijing in mid-June in the one who defended reaching agreements with the Asian giant and managing the relationship responsibly.