The US condemns what happened in Huwara and calls for those responsible “to be brought to Justice”
28 Feb. (EUROPA PRESS) –
At least five people have been arrested this Tuesday after several members of the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) were attacked by a group of settlers when they tried to prevent them from throwing stones at vehicles of Palestinian citizens in the West Bank.
The military had been deployed in the area before the attacks perpetrated by settlers near the town of Al Mughayyir, some 20 kilometers from Ramallah, after receiving several calls for throwing stones.
“When the security forces arrived at the scene, they identified several suspects, who were masked and were carrying out these throws against a Palestinian truck,” the IDF said in a statement.
The Israeli Army has fired several warning shots, but the suspects have refused to disperse, so they have subsequently used tear gas. However, one of the suspects has sprayed a cash with pepper spray, according to information from the newspaper ‘The Times of Israel’.
The incident is part of a growing wave of violence that has taken place over the past week in the West Bank, where settlers have also clashed with Israeli troops after killing a Palestinian and burning dozens of houses in the city of Huwara. in retaliation for an attack that left two Israelis dead.
This same Tuesday, the deputy undersecretary of the United States Department of State for Israel and Palestine, Hady Amr, visited the city of Huwara to supervise the damage caused by the strong disturbances.
Thus, he has expressed his condolences and has condemned the “unacceptable escalation of violence by the settlers”, which he has labeled “indiscriminate”. “We are extremely concerned about this situation,” he said in a statement.
“We want those responsible to be brought to justice and that measures be taken so that the victims of this terrible attack are compensated, especially for those who have lost their properties,” he pointed out.
A 37-year-old Palestinian man was killed, while 300 others were injured, four of them seriously, during the attacks on Sunday night.
On Monday, State Department spokesman Ned Price called on Israeli authorities to prosecute and try Israeli settlers who stormed the West Bank town on Sunday.